Recently I have had great conversations with some of you about the importance of self-love.
In a world of insecurity and fear, it is so important to show yourself a secure an unconditional love. For me, self-love has been and continues to be a long old journey, that’s for sure. I’ve come to learn that I am quite an outward facing person, in the sense that I pour energy outwards rather than inwards. So, naturally it felt very awkward embarking on ‘a journey of self-love’ and honestly, just writing that makes me cringe.
But I have come to feel quite comfortable in this relationship with myself. And, I’ve come to realise just how important it is to know how to look after yourself, to know what you like and what you dislike. It is so important to know what makes you, you!
I love a list on this blog, so here is another one for you. Here is a list of what self-love looks like to me:
- For me, self-love is taking a break from studying rather than pushing through and getting a headache.
- It’s running myself hot bath after a long day.
- Self-love isn’t being hard on myself if I didn’t finish all of my lectures, it’s patting myself on the back for showing up.
- Self-love is dedicating 30 minutes of my day to yoga with Adriene on Youtube.
- Self-love is taking time out to go to the park and feed the ducks, swans and geese.
- And it’s learning to speak up when something doesn’t sit right with me.
- Self-love is celebrating all of the small wins and learning to be my own cheerleader!
- I’ve learnt that it is also saying yes to myself even if that means saying no to others.
- It’s curling up in bed and rewatching my favourite series on Netflix (currently rewatching Parks and Recreation on Netflix, one of greatest comedies to ever grace my screen).
- Self-love is taking the time to water my plants each day.
- It’s learning how to grow back down.
- It’s not settling for anything less than I deserve!
- Self-love is treating myself and buying small gifts every now and then (please see exhibit A)!
In its simplest form, self-love is to listen and respect myself. That’s all anyone really wants in life isn’t it, to be heard and respected? I think the key to being heard and respected in the wider world, is to listen to and respect yourself first. You deserve to give that to yourself. And in the words of the great RuPaul “If you can’t love yourself, how in the heeeeeeeellll you gonna love somebody else?” hahaha.
So, not because it’s Valentines Day, but because you deserve it everyday, I hope you give yourself a little self-love today and always in whatever form that may be.
Self-love looks so different on everyone, I’d love to hear a little bit about what it means to you in the comments below!
Exhibit A) Look! A ring that looks like a little hug! We also ordered 24 macaroons last night, it was a good time 🥳